The School of Law was founded in 1925 as a part of the then-private, nonprofit University of Baltimore, with the first class of 38 students receiving their diplomas in 1928. Created to serve the working population of the Baltimore area with a part-time evening program, the school added a full-time day division in 1969.
In September 1970, the University of Baltimore School of Law merged with Eastern College and its Mount Vernon School of Law, which was founded in 1935. On Jan. 1, 1975, the school became a public institution when the University of Baltimore joined the State of Maryland's system for public higher education.
The new John and Frances Angelos Law Center opened April 30, 2013, and began hosting classes in the summer 2013 session. This 12-story facility, at the northeast corner of North Charles Street and West Mount Royal Avenue, houses all of the school's clinics, centers and classrooms, and provides many options for indoor and outdoor study. The building was designated LEED Platinum by the U.S. Green Building Council.
An alumni network of approximately 13,000 graduates includes many prominent figures, such as Peter Angelos, owner of the Baltimore Orioles; Maryland's former first lady, Judge Catherine Curran O'Malley; Thomas Condon, considered the most powerful agent in professional football; and U.S. Rep. C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger III. Nearly a third of Maryland's sitting judges are UB School of Law graduates.