Skip to content
School of Law

LL.M. Tax Admissions


  • To be admitted to the LL.M. in Tax program, the following is required:

    • J.D. degree or equivalent (J.D. or equivalent degrees earned in the United States must be from law schools that have the approval of the American Bar Association.)
    • Official transcript from each law school attended, except the University of Baltimore School of Law
    • One letter of recommendation evaluating the candidate's potential for success in the program (except for graduates of the University of Baltimore School of Law)

    Admission is offered to candidates whose previous academic achievement, and work experience indicate high promise for success in graduate study.

  • General Admission Procedures and Applications

    Admission to the LL.M. in Tax program is on a rolling basis.  Students may start the program at the beginning of the Fall or Spring semesters, or the Summer session. 

    Application deadlines are as follows:

    August 1 — for fall semester
    December 1 —for spring semester
    May 1 —for summer session

    Applications completed after these dates may be considered, but preference is given to those received by the deadline. Different application deadlines apply to international students/graduates of foreign schools (see below).

    To apply, submit the following:

    Submit all documents to:

    Graduate Tax Program Office
    John and Frances Angelos Law Center, AL1112
    1420 North Charles Street
    Baltimore, MD 21201-5779

  • Admission as International Student/Graduate of Foreign School

    Application deadlines are as follows:

    June 1 — for fall semester
    November 1 —for spring semester
    March 1 —for summer session

    Before applying, international applicants and those with undergraduate or law degrees from schools outside the United States should contact the International Services Office at the University. This office has responsibility for obtaining visas and providing other necessary information.

    International applicants must meet admission requirements in addition to those required of U.S. citizens. The applicant's visa classification and academic background determine the nature of these requirements. Nonimmigrant applicants must submit the Supplemental International Applicant Information Sheet and provide current visa documentation and evidence of financial resources.

    Applicants, including US citizens, who earned their undergraduate or law degree at an institution outside the US must arrange, at their own expense, to have their academic records evaluated on a course-by-course basis by a US credentials evaluation service. The applicant is responsible for providing this evaluation to the Graduate Tax Program Office.

    Applicants for whom English is a second language must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language. The Supplemental International Applicant Information Sheet and information about credential evaluation are available from the International Student Advisor at 410.837.4756. The admission decision cannot be made until all necessary information has been received by the International Services Office.

  • Certificate in Estate Planning with the LL.M. in Tax

    Candidates who want to pursue a Certificate in Estate Planning in connection with the LL.M. in Tax need to submit an Application for Certificate in Estate Planning Program in addition to the documents mentioned in the General Admission Procedures above.

  • Admission on a Nondegree Basis

    Attorneys and related professionals may take selected courses in the Graduate Tax Program on a nondegree basis.  Such individuals also may audit courses, in which case they do not take course examinations or earn academic credit.  For information, contact the Graduate Tax Program Office at 410.837.4470.

  • Transferring Credits from Another LL.M. Program

    Enrolled students may transfer up to six credits of course work from another ABA-acquiesced LL.M. program.  Transfer credits are subject to approval of the director of the Graduate Tax Program and may be granted upon receipt of an official transcript from the school attended and a written petition from the student.